Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:32:10 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Richard Childers <rchilders@hamquist.com>
Cc:        Dmitriy Bokiy <ratebor@cityline.ru>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie questions: DoS & xinetd

Richard Childers scribbled this message on Jun 10:
> For instance, if I wanted to search for all occurrences of the string
> "net.inet.ip.redirect", I would do:
>
> 	# find / -type f -exec grep -i "net.inet.ip.redirect" {} \; -print

you might try zgrep instead of grep, this will look in gzip files also..

> Doing so (you may wish to redirect the output into a temporary file, to
> keep binary from scrawling across your screen), you will see that the
> following files reference this string:
>
> 	/usr/src/share/doc/smm/01.setup/5.t
> 	/usr/src/share/doc/smm/01.setup/spell.OK
> 	/var/db/kvm_kernel.db

if you used zgrep, you would see the
/usr/share/doc/smm/01.setup/paper.ascii.gz is an ascii version of the
data you are looking for...  /usr/share/doc/{smm,psd,usd}/* is a GREAT
reference and contains MUCH information...  I think we should publicize
these docs more...

> The file /usr/src/share/doc/smm/01.setup/5.t appears to be a text file,
> containing documentation describing how to comprehensively configuring
> network interfaces; unfortunately, despite some twenty years of
> wrestling with roff(1), nroff(1) and troff(1), I was unable to get this
> file to print out properly.

if you looked at the Makefile in the same directory, you would see
that it uses -ms, and you need to add the -t because of USE_TBL..
so you could read it with:
groff -t -Tascii -ms 5.t | more

and that should give you readable output...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson