Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:45:25 -0500
From:      "Ben Yiu" <byiu@shaw.wave.ca>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Printing Issues

Hi, I am having problems creating a device for my printer.  I followed the
directions in the FreeBSD handbook and it tells you to create a device using
the ./MAKEDEV lpt0 command line.  However from reading the FreeBSD release
notes for 3.1, they had implemented the new nlptN in the kernel.

So after looking in my kernel sure enough I found that I did have a nlptN
entry in my kernel.   Also after issuing the command "dmesg | grep nlpt" I
found that it did recognize the port.  However when i issued the command
"dmesg | grep lpt" nothing was found.

From the above I concluded.

1.	lptN will be replaced by nlptN.
2.	my printer port was found at nlptN
3.	I should try to create a nlptN node using ./MAKEDEV nlptN since there
already isin't one 	present in the /dev directory

This does not work.  After issuing the command "./MAKEDEV nlpt0" i get the
msg "nlpt0 - no such device name"  I was hoping for help from someone from
the mailing list as to what I am doing wrong or maybe I am missing a step.
Thanks.