Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:40:59 -0400
From:      "Richard G. Roberto" <richard_g_roberto@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't upgrade to 4.2-RELEASE from 3.2 (system resets)

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my Micron Powerdigm XSU from 3.2-RELEASE to
4.2-RELEASE by booting off the 4.2 CD, but I'm having problems.  Here's the
hardware:

Preston - Dual Pentium II ATX Motherboard
Adaptec 2940UW PCI/SCSI card
Plextor 12/20x CDROM drive
EIDE controller on the motherboard with no devices attached
Creative Labs AWE64 sound card
Diamond Fire GL 1000 (Permedia 2) video card

All but the sound card work fine under 3.2, but when I go to upgrade to 4.2
(by booting off the 4.2 CD), I never get past kernel selection.  When I get
to the screen asking to configure the kernel, no matter what I do (custom
configure, or skip configuration), once I get past that screen, the probing
starts, takes a while, then the system just resets (though in a funky way --
it doesn't reboot, but I lose video signal as though I had pushed the reset
button).  Stranger still, I can't power off the system once its in this
state, but the reset button works! (as does removing the power cord)

Does anyone have any ideas on why this may be happenning?  I did a search in
the archives and didn't really see anything specific to this.  I also had a
look at GNATS and saw BudIDs kern/23535 and misc/23873 that seemd similar,
but these are still open.

I don't know how to gather more data, especially since the system resets the
way it does.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

rgr