Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:45:03 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wanted: swapped backed disk on a diskless machine

Dima> David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca> writes:
>> I have somewhat of an interesting problem: I have applications that
>> write arbitrarily large files (as much as 6 gig) and I find that
>> the best performance for these disks is to use something like MFS.
>>
>> However, mfs has a maximum size of 512M.
>>
>> md appears to have a very small maximum size and only resides in
>> core

Dima> Only the `malloc' md type (as much as the name suggests
Dima> otherwise, it can be configured not to use malloc as a backing
Dima> store) has the limits I think you're referring to.  Its `swap'
Dima> backing may be what you need.  However, support for that is only
Dima> in -current, and there are no plans to MFC it since it isn't
Dima> backwards-compatible with the md that's in -stable.  That said,
Dima> I have patches that backport -current's md to -stable; if
Dima> anybody wants them, feel free to ask.

Me Please!

Dave.