Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 05:25:19 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        efinley@efinley.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how many switches?

Elliot Finley writes:
> This isn't exactly a FreeBSD question, but since it's going to be an
> all FBSD network... :-)
>
> I know that I can only go through 3-4 hubs before I have timing
> issues.  My question is: how many switches can I go through?  it seems
> like it would be unlimited as long as the packet passed through them
> and the response came back before the application timed out.  This is
> the case isn't it?  Since a switch uses store-and-forward.

You mix the terms "hub" and "switch" as if they are interchangeable. A
hub is very much like a CATV distribution amplifier. Contributes
measureable delay in ethernet time but no buffering. A switch is
smarter, but just how smart varies.

Its not the application timeout which is important. You didn't say what
error messages you were seeing. Anyway, too many hubs or too long of a
network wire, the result is the speed of light isn't fast enough. In
half duplex your NIC listens for anyone else on the wire during the
first 64 octets. If it doesn't copy its data perfectly then it backs
off and tries again later. A "collision". A long network can postpone
the collision detection past octet 64 and results in a "late collision"
which is reported with urgency as something is broken.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net