Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 16:37:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file://localhost/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> > Although, of course, the correct way to beep from an sh file is
> > to use `tput bl`.
>
> Jeez, no matter what the subject, someone comes up with a command I've
> never heard of :-)  OK, it works great but how come the man page doesn't
> mention it?

You didn't check the "SEE ALSO" section to find-out what tput(1)
means by "attribute".  :)

(I think tg already pointed this out, but you want man 5 termcap).

> Making something look obviously wrong isn't always the most effective way
> to stop it happening. People tend to take the most familiar action, then
> the one most like the previous, then the one that looks easiest, then get
> upset and start making decisions as a last resort. Software tends to
> expect that these priorities are reversed.

Yow.  I think that summarizes everything from computer usability
problems to their incredible inability to transfer skills learned
in one area to another.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk