Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:36:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Michael Moran <mmoran@veronet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: E-Mail size limitation by ISPs

Today Michael Moran wrote:

> Are ISPs out there limiting the size of e-mail messages and its file
> attachments?

We do.

> If so, what are their size of limitation?

10,000,000 bytes

> and reasons?

Grandpa gets a digital camera and just has to send everyone a
couple of 98meg .tiff or .bmp images of the grandchildren.  The
user in the `To:' field doesn't realize that he has to wait a
few hours for all that crap to download so he disconnects before
it finishes.  Next thing you know tech support gets a call,
"What's wrong with your email?  I can't get my mail.".

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null