Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:03:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        mikel <mikel@ocsinternet.com>, Anthony Rubin <tonyr@generalsearch.net>, Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com>, Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Information, new, propaganda:)

	Guys, not to rain on your parade, but people come up with the idea
to change the website once every other month or so.  I usually fails
because people just want to whine and not do anything themselves.  But
more importantly, changes to the website will never be accepted unless
they do the things that the website was designed to do.  So if you don't
know what goals the page is after how can you do a better job at that?
	The page needs to work in text browsers and even on various
wireless services.  It does that quite well.  It is also desinged as a
reference site.  It is great at that, especially when you have spent
some time there and know what information is to be found where.  I've seen
other things mentioned that the page must do, but I can't find the message
in the archives right now.  Try asking what some of the other design
objectives of the site are, only then can you improve it.  I don't know
but maybe try asking on freebsd-doc@   That way you could be contributing
instead of complaining.
	Probably the only thing that could really improve the website is
better organization of information on it.  A good way to help with this
may be to analyze the traffic patterns on the site and make quicker paths
from the main page to the most used spots.  Or analyze how newbies
interact with it (or fail to.) and improve the paths to the information
they need, or the noticibility of those paths.
	When you take into account all the things the page is supposed to
do you will find it is not all that bad.  Could use a little improvement,
but what couldn't.

							Tim