Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 20:40:01 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        nick <jmc@pathway.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

nick wrote:

> I am a new user and would really Like to learn UNIX.
>
> Last christmas I bought LINUX and couldn't get it to install.
>
> NOW I purchased the COMPLETE FREEBSD book and CDs.
> I did get it to install came to a DOS looking screen with a dollar sign symbol.
> BUT COULDN"T DO  A THING.... :(
>
> I loaded everything I could from the list and was expecting X-WINDOWS screen
> to look like windows...
>
> COULD YOU HELP recommend further books, methods of installing, programs, or
> something to begin learning FREEBSD .......I really like to learn.

James,
You need to supply a little more information.

1. What version of FreeBSD?
2. Did you get a login: and password: prompt and answer them to get to
the "$" sign or were
you just "dumped" there by the system?

You might try typing "dmesg" at the $ prompt, then copy down all of what
you see in an e-mail
and post it to this list if you want someone to be able to help you.

Assumimg that you *did* log in as a user or root and your system is
acting normally, then you
need to be or become root and run XF86Setup to configure your X window
system, then start it with "startx".

regards,
Jim
--
Jim Durham <Television Engineer-Unitel Mobile Video, Pittsburgh>
  <Computer Consultant/Hobbyist> <Amateur Radio: W2XO>