Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:58:26 -0500
From:      steve <steve@clublinux.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regarding New FreeBSD BenchMark From Sysadmin Mag (left out a fiew  tuning options)

Hello,
    I thought I'd stay out of this, but... ;-)

> Right and Microsoft has sold the world that their OS is the
> best and have plenty of charts to prove it, yet day after
> day companies realize that Windows doesn't scale as Microsoft
> would have them believe.

Agreed.  Benchmarks never tell the whole story.  Although I don't know
of any alterior motive for Sysadmin magazine to "create" the test
results, that doesn't mean there couldn't be.  It was supposed to be an
"out of the box" test orginally, so let them have their so-called
tests.  How many people really use an OS out of the box for a server?

> You can take whatever someone has
> the gall to publish as gospel.  I'll take what I've seen in
> the real world and not some tests by what might be another
> biased company
> looking to make it "gold" with the fad called
> Linux.

Ouch.  That's a bit harsh.  I'd hesitate to call Linux a "fad".

I'm new to FreeBSD, so maybe I haven't earned the right to argue, but so
far it has impressed me under a load.  When I can recompile the kernel
(make -j4), install 5 ports, run 3 instaces of "top", grep all of the
man pages at once for a specific word, and still log into a free virtual
console in under 5 seconds all at the same time, that is DAMN
impressive.  I'd say FreeBSD is definitely doing something right in the
VM/swap mangement area. The average load on the box was in the 9 - 10
range and, like I mentioned above, I could still log in!  I've NEVER
been able to do that under Linux in under a minute. (Yes, I know average
load isn't the best tool for load monitoring, but it gives you a pretty
general idea of your system load).  Oh, did I mention this was all on a
486/66 with 24MB of RAM?  And yes, I was intentionally loading the box.
Who in their right mind would run 3 instances of top on a 486 when each
instance eats about 10% of the CPU?

To be honest, my jaw hit the floor when I was able to log in that quick.

As you may have guessed by my e-mail address, I'm a Linux user too.
(Actually, everyone would probably get a kick out of my web site logo
www.clublinux.org.  It was made for a laugh, no penguins were harmed).
For me, Linux has been a great tool to accomplish tasks at hand. I think
FreeBSD will be another great tool for me.  Each has it's own strengths
and weaknesses.

That being said, I still don't think Linux is a "fad".

Just my .02,
- Another Steve