Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 1997 08:57:37 -0500
From:      Charles Reese <reese@chem.duke.edu>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News on FreeBSD

I am also interested in setting up News and at the risk of getting roasted I
would like to ask if anyone has used a multiple PC/FreeBSD system using IDE
drives.  For the same price as the SCSI system one could get 3- 486s each
with 2 enhanced IDEs.

I'm ducking now,
Charlie Reese

At 01:21 AM 1/7/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>> Does FreeBSD make a good News server?
>
>I am running several inhouse, serving thousands of clients every day. They
>are in my experience better than all the expensive systems, and more stable
>that the other free systems like the l-word.
>
>> What hardware is recommended?
>
>For a full feed I would suggest 2*4*4 SCSI drives spread over two fast
>controllers.
>
>That should be running on a P128 with 198MB of RAM, and linked to the net
>with a minimum of T1.
>
>I suggest starting with something a lot less, and only taking in some
>groups :)
>
>> Required reading?
>
>http://www.isc.org/isc/inn.html
>
>> Required software?
>
>ftp://ftp.vix.com/pub/inn
>
>A bit terse, but you wanted to learn for yourself :)
>
>PS: Ill be glad to give you some tips if you get stuck!
>
>Regards
>
>	Mikael Hugo

Charles E. Reese        * Senior Research Associate  *
Chemistry Dept.         *                            *
Duke University         *   Consulting services:     *
Durham, NC 27710        *  Chromatography            *
919-660-1585            *  Chemometrics              *
919-544-7217            *  Isotachophoresis          *
                        *  WWW site development      *
reese@chem.duke.edu     *                            *