Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2011 07:30:23 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   * Re: chroot error: /bin/csh: No such file or directory; trying to create customized livecd/dvd

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 23, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com> wro=
te:

> Dear folks,
>=20
> I am trying to build a simple livecd to learn more.  I have
> successfully run some commands found here:
>=20
> http://www.secure-computing.net/wiki/index.php/FreeBSD/LiveCD
>=20
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld DESTDIR=3D/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> # make installworld DESTDIR=3D/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> # make buildkernel DESTDIR=3D/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> # make installkernel DESTDIR=3D/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> # make distribution DESTDIR=3D/usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
>=20
> all these commands are successful
>=20
> I mount devfs as instructed in command
>=20
> # mount -t devfs devfs /path/to/livecd/dev
> # chroot /path/to/livecd
>=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>=20
> tricorehome# mount -t devfs devfs /usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> tricorehome# chroot /usr/home/olivares/tmp/tmp/R/
> chroot: /bin/csh: No such file or directory
>=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>=20
> I have tried to use freesbie script(s) by installing freesbie port,
> but it failed and I asked questions but got few to no responses.
> I have tried to look for some scripts/SDK but not have been successful
> like frenzy's to create frenzy livecd.  There are few to no FreeBSD
> LiveCDs, only one that has been working and updated is the GhostBSD
> one by Eric Turgeon.   I see OpenBSD has several livecds/livedvds like
> jggimi, FuguITA, etc to showcase it.  NetBSD has one as well called
> Jibbed.  FreeBSD has specialized ones like PfSense, Monowall, FreeNAS,
> Mahesha, and GhostBSD.  Frenzy was apparently going to be maintained
> but no newer releases.  I have gotten feedback as to there exist
> mfsBSD by Martin Matruska, http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/, and druidbsd,
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/druidbsd/, but cannot do much with
> them :(
>=20
> I try to get my feet wet, but I get error and can't seem to get around it=
 :(
>=20
> Any thoughts, ideas, comments, observations?
> I just want to create a livecd/livedvd with customized packages to
> take my desktop everywhere,

That should be pretty easy with druidbsd as it gives you a convenient dumpi=
ng-ground to throw extras.

Note, however, that there is a very large code-drop around the corner that =
will bring about 1.5 years of enhancements in soon. So if it doesn't do qui=
te what you want now, it may soon.

That being said, one of the things I feel makes DruidBSD unique is an insan=
ely-customized mfsroot designed to break you out into the larger (and more =
expansive) ISO-9660 structure so that you -- as a developer of your own cus=
tom LiveCD -- CAN expand the functionality simply by dumping binaries and l=
ibs into the ISO-9660 structure while the mfsroot stays nice and compact.

If you wanted to, you could add X windows even.
--=20
Devin