Date:      22 May 2002 13:27:42 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw rule activation question

Hi,

I have been puzzled for some time by "ipfw show" results along these
lines (the last three lines from my current session).

05800    0      0 deny log ip from any to any
05900    0      0 deny ip from any to any
65535   85  11089 deny ip from any to any

Rule 5900 is just the usual "stop everything" rule.
Rule 65535 seems to be IPFIREWALL's own internal "stop everything else"
rule.

Rule 5800 is one that I inserted many moons ago in an attempt to
characterize the traffic that was not being stopped or allowed by the
preceding rules, but it never (that I can remember) scored a single hit.

So how can packets get past 5800 and 5900, to wind up at 65535?  What
was magic about those 85 packets?

Thanks,

--
Andrew