Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:37:14 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        sheldonh@uunet.co.za, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

On Wednesday,  8 December 1999 at 17:09:39 +0100, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>
>> It isn´t only a matter of providing feedback... the maintainer also has
>> to work on it.
>
> Yeah, right...
>
>> I offered feedback in every mail regarding my problem with ata &
>> msdos-ZIPs (they aren´t accessible), but most of the time I havn´t got a
>> reply (Søren replied recently to Fritz Heinrichmeyer, he has the same
>> problem).
>> I´m not able to test it at the moment, but I havn´t seen a cvs-all
>> message which said "Problems with MSDOS formated ZIPs fixed". I assume
>> it isn´t fixed and I want to use the wd driver until it´s fixed.
>>
>> Poul-Henning: please wait until Søren fixed the problems some users have
>> (we didn´t want to loose features, right?).
>>
>> Søren: I didn´t want to flame you, I only want to convince Paul-Henning
>> to wait until you have time to fix those bugs.
>
> Welcome to the real world, I've promised to look at this and I will,
> but a day has only so many hours.

We're not talking about deadlines here, we're talking about sequences:

1.  Write a new driver with sexy new features.
2.  Make sure it can do everything the old driver can do.
3.  Remove the old driver.

At the moment, we seem to be trying to do (3) before (2).

No question of hours/day or anything else.

> Instead of complaining, help the project, when have you last closed
> a PR ??

It's been a while.  The day has only so many hours.

Greg