Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:16:35 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Minimal system installation

On Dec 28, Dinesh Nair launched this into the bitstream:

> On 28/12/2004 05:08 Greg 'groggy' Lehey said the following:
>> On Monday, 27 December 2004 at 13:21:51 -0600, Dan Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> A friend gave me a laptop with a Pentium 100 and 24 megs of ram.  It
>>> only has a floppy drive.  What version of FreeBSD do you recommend
>>> and would you send me the link to download it.
>>

>> It's possible to run FreeBSD on a machine like that (in fact, I intend
>> to start doing so on a very similar machine today), but only as a
>> diskless workstation.  FreeBSD needs a disk *somewhere*.  If this is
>> all you have, you can't run FreeBSD on it.
>
> but you should be able to run PicoBSD on it. ;)

How about this one...a laptop with the CD inoperable and the floppy
missing. The PCMCIA controller may/may_not be fried because no known
PCMCIA network card will work, but owing to the vagaries of Win98 who
knows for sure. All we know presently is that the serial port works.
Disk is OK and it has 40MB of memory. Add to that the fact that for
ridiculously sentimental reasons I am reluctant to part with the darn
thing, so as a last ditch effort I'd sure like to put *some* BSD on it.
The question is....how?