Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 10:15:06 +0100
From:      Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>
To:        Alex as Root <root@gouda.acatysmoof.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS reverse lookup issues

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 11:17:42PM -0700, Alex as Root said:

>     I am trying to get my DNS all set up. Everything seems to be going
>     well except:

I'm going to reiterate some things that other people have said because
there is serious breakage here.

> I can ping www.acatysmoof.com
> I cannot ping acatysmoof.com -

That's because there is no A record for it.
Add this line anywhere in that file.

acatysmoof.com.	IN	A	64.170.164.x

The NS records are OK, contrary to another reply (at first glance they do
look wrong), but they're not.

The MX record is broken, it needs a . at the end of the hostname (unless
there is a host called gouda.acatysmoof.com.acatysmoof.com, but I can see
that there isn't).

> The main reason I want to do this is because I would like to send mail to
> this address, but right now no mail server can resolve it. :(

That's not why the mail isn't working.
You do not need your domain name to resolve for the domain to be deliverable.
MX records suffice, and the A record is only used for mail delivery if there
are _no_ MX records.
Your problem is that the MX records point to a non-existent host, namely
gouda.acatysmoof.com.acatysmoof.com.

Ceri

        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen