Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 23:50:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
To:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium Bug to be ignored -- say it ain't so

Analogies of FreeBSD pentium Bug Patch:

Problem: 3rd gear on my car doesn't work
Patch: Switch from 2nd to 4th

Problem: Theres a hole in the bottom of my favorite coffee cup
Solution: Cover the hole with your finger when drinking

Problem: Intraoffice email to my boss is not working
Solution: Print the email, fax it to the secretary and have her scan it
          into the bosses machine

Problem: I broke my lifetime guaranteed Stanley wrench
Solution: Wrap plenty of medical guage around it and get back to work

Problem: I am always late to work
Solution: Set your clock forward 5 minutes (you idiot)

Problem: I want to buy a $22000 sports car
Solution: Buy a $13000 Honda. Then spend $12000: lower it, put huge
          chrome tail pipes on it, remove the shocks,
          put a spoiler bigger than a learjets rear stabilizer,
          replace the
          engine control computer so it sounds like a harley, put
          racing stripes, a roll bar, and huge stickers reading:
          Kumumoto Racing Team and always, always drive
          55 mph in first gear.

Send me $300 dollars and I will gladly send you a Pentium Bug patch.
  * Precision microfabrication factory not included.
    Some restrictions may apply.

I guess this is very much like race, if you ain't it how can you
understand it?  Problem is you can't.  But personally (and maybye it is
because I don't have an intel { when I bought my last processor if i had
bought an intel it would of been a P120, that was what was in my price
range a the time } I think that this whole argument over a SOFTWARE fix
for a HARDWARE bug is PRETTY F___ING STUPID.  It is like asking the
freebsd core team to make your machine more stable through power outages.
If the damn hardware doesn't work the way it is supposed to, no amount of
software is going to fix that.  End of story.  Now go away, I don't want
to hear anymore about it.