Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 18:04:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Weyrich Computing Consulting <weyrich@goodnet.com>
To:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: performance of FreeBSD-current as SMP

To hazard a guess, there is certain overhead in SMP.  If your processing
mix is able to take advantage of concurrent processing, then you will see
a net performance boost, but not the expected doubling (due to the
overhead penalty).

The question is, does your benchmark allow concurrent
processing?  If you have a single Network Interface Card, does it act as a
non-sharable resource that effectively precludes concurrent processing by
two web server processes?  Your web server does spawn a new process for
each client session, and you are generating multiple client sessions
concurrently, right?

orville.

 On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Mohit Aron
wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 18:29:13 -0600 (CST)
> From: Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
> To: freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: performance of FreeBSD-current as SMP
>
> Hi,
> 	I did some simple throughput tests on a handcoded fast webserver
> when FreeBSD-current (snapshot from 3rd January) is/is not configured as an
> SMP. Only 1 processor is used. When configured as an SMP, the performance
> drops down by about 22%. Does anyone have an idea why this happens ?
>

> - Mohit

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr.                 Weyrich Computer Consulting
mailto:orville@weyrich.com     KD7HJV        http://www.weyrich.com
Visit our online collection of book reviews:

		  http://www.weyrich.com/book_reviews/

Ask about our world wide web services!