Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:53:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        chris@tourneyland.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP and Telnet have stopped working

Also for future use...use killall -1 inetd to restart inetd thatn to waste
time and reboot the machine every time a change is made, this isn't
Windows ya know...

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * chris@tourneyland.com <chris@tourneyland.com> [000222 21:01] wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have a FreeBSD machine that is running fairly smoothly. Recently,
> > however, its telnet and FTP daemons seem to have stopped working. I can't
> > ftp or telnet in to it, even from the machine itself. I can ping it just
> > fine, and it can ping (and FTP) out just fine.
> >
> > The only thing I can think of, is fairly recently (maybe a week ago) a
> > friend telnetted in to install ssh for me. The time that FTP and telnet
> > stopped working corresponds fairly roughly to my first reboot after he
> > installed ssh. That made me think that maybe he disabled ftpd and telnetd
> > in my inetd.conf file, which then kicked in when I rebooted. But they're
> > untouched in inetd.conf. So much for that. Another piece of data: ftpd and
> > telnetd don't show up on a ps -aux, though I'm not sure if they ever do.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
>
> he may have disabled inetd entirely, look in /etc/rc.conf or
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf for:
> inetd_enable="NO"
> or ring him on the phone and ask what the $#@$@#@$# he did. :)
>
> the default install runs telnet/ftp from inetd so you shouldn't see
> them in ps unless active connections are going on.
>
> -Alfred

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |