Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:03:52 -0800
From:      Bernhard Beck <bbeck@mindmaker.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   trap 12 / kernel panic in ping with ep0

Not sure if this is the right mailing list.

One of our test systems (TEST) is running 4.0-RELEASE with a custom
kernel (pretty much stock GENERIC kernel with IDE and most drivers
commented out in configuration). The system has a 3com 509 NIC.
Today we were stress-testing one of our web servers with ab and
http_load generating high network load from TEST. Eventually, TEST
stopped sending packets. I saw this same behaviour in earlier versions
of FreeBSD with 3com cards (2.2 and 3.2). Usually an ifconfig ep0 down
and ifconfig ep0 up was enough the revive the network layer. Not this
time.

I ran ping on TEST without responses. Got back to the command line,
started ping again and got a trap 12: kernel panic. I have all the panic
information written down if anyone is interested in that, but since this
is a custom build kernel I guess the address information won't help a
lot.
The active process at the time of the panic was ping.

Did anybody see a crash like this before in 4.0?

Thanks,
Bernhard