Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:02:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        dean@av8.com (Dean Anderson)
Cc:        pantzer@ludd.luth.se, dean@oec.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP site

Dean Anderson is responsible for:
> At 9:31 PM 2/7/97, Mattias Pantzare wrote:
> >> Is it too much to ask to have a normal ftp site, with the source
> >>distributions
> >> organized by category, with the original source tar file and a patch
> >>file for BSD?
> >
> >Normal?? It is a very normal file tree. (You ar refering to that, not the
> >site)

	Snip
> >>to "improve"
> >> things by breaking them.
> >
> >What format? What FTP sites? I think that it is a very good file tree.
>
> Log on to an HPUX system, or any non freebsd system. Use ftp.  Use the web
> site as a guide to find the "locations" of packages.  Compare with
> ftp.uu.net, or any of dozens of other large ftp sites.
>
> Imagine that one has a VMS machine without make, but can create a tape or
> uucp a file that is readable on his machine at home.  So ftpping a makefile
> and running "make get-dist" is completely unacceptable.
>
> The problem is that your site is for use only by the freebsd ports program,
> and then very badly at that. And nowhere does it say that.
>
> When you say you have msql.tar.gz, it appears that you actually have msql,
> which you don't have anywhere on your ftp site.  So web searches looking
> for msql list your site as having msql.tar.gz.  They are led thinking that
> your site is much closer than the australia site, and spend half hour
> trying to figure out where you might have squirreled away the msql
> distribution, only to discover to there great frustration that you were
> lying about having it in the first place.
>
> You don't have an ftp site. Its a ports site that uses ftp as a data transport.
>
>                 --Dean
	Snip

Well, what bit you this morning?  I agree that the FreeBSD
ftp site departs from traditional ftp sites in a few ways.
However, this does not make it "broken", just different.
Last time I checked, there were no laws or even rules for
websites, just tradition.  Just because I file looks like it
contains something that you want, does not mean that it IS
something you want.  If msql.tar.gz is a port, not a
package, didn't the fact that it was about 50K tip you off
that it probably wasn't the source for a whole RDBMS?  I
guess they should have named msql.tar.gz something like

msql.tar.gz-port-only-not-complete-dont-use-unless-you-have-freebsd-installed

Excellent!

I would say that anything from /pub/FreeBSD down is most
likely for FreeBSD users, don't you.  I'm surprised you
haven't downloaded a file like:
  ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/os2/unix/elm23-2.zip
for a HPUX machine trying to get at elm.