Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:51:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diskless: 5.0R scripts, boot, NFS mount problems I didn't have in 4.7S

    I'm not sure what is occuring here but it sounds like
    cockpit trouble somewhere.  Make sure your NFS server is
    exporting to your subnet and that it is running the
    necessary services, (portmap, mountd, nfsd -t -u -n 4).
    If you have another box that you can boot normally
    (not netboot), test the NFS server from that box by
    mounting / and /usr:

    other# mount 192.168.255.185:/usr /mnt

    Or, if you have no other box, make sure you can mount
    the server onto the server itself as a test:

    nfsserver# mount localhost:/usr /mnt
    nfsserver# mount myaddress:/usr /mnt	(aka 192.168.255.185)

    If you are running a firewire on the server, make sure
    it is letting NFS through to your LAN.

    It is also possible that someone has broken something in NFS
    recently.  The -current I am running (which works fine as
    a server for my EPIA 5000 and EPIA M 9000) is several weeks
    old.

    If your /usr partition is on / on your server (i.e. not
    its own partition), then remember to use the -alldirs option
    in /etc/exports for / and /usr.  If /usr is on its own
    partition you don't need -alldirs unless you are trying to
    mount a subdirectory in / or /usr.  You *might* need -alldirs
    on your / export.  In anycase, I always set -alldirs on all
    my read-only exports and that is what I would recommend you
    do too.

					-Matt

:Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org> writes:
:
:> I've moved the "mount -a" near the top of rc.d/diskless since it
:> runs commands which are and not available until /usr is mounted
:> (e.g., mtree).  The NFS mount fails with a message I don't
:> understand:
:>
:>   [udp] pectopah.shenton.org:/usr: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Unknown host
:
:Tasteless self-followup:
:
:I get the same error when the boot process fails and drops me to a
:shell; I can get it with UDP or TCP mounts. For example:
:
:  mount_nfs -U -2 192.168.255.185:/usr /mnt
:  mount_nfs -U -3 192.168.255.185:/usr /mnt
:  mount_nfs -T -2 192.168.255.185:/usr /mnt
:  mount_nfs -T -3 192.168.255.185:/usr /mnt
:
:The only difference is the [udp] vs [tcp] in the error msg:
:
:  [tcp] 192.168.255.185:/usr: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Unknown host
:
:I sniffed traffic with tcpdump and ethereal: the diskless client is
:contacting the server so it's not having problems resolving that IP
:addr.
:...