Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 17:16:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 problems

In article <199712021906.LAA29599@bubba.whistle.com> you wrote:
> Julian Elischer writes:
> > Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > >
> > > 0. Boot FreeBSD
> > > 1. I have VT1 - VT6 with getty login screens, so X appears on VT7
> > > 2. CTL-ALT-F5 and login as "archie" on VT5. Start X running.
> > > 3. Screen flashes VT1 briefly, then video resets and displays X screen
> > > 4. CTL-ALT-F4 to get to VT4 and login as "root"
> > > 5. Run command "xwin", which is an alias that pops two root
> > >    windows up on the X console.
> >
> > what's wrong with just running 'startx' to start X AND start some
> > xterms?
> > integrates steps 2,3,4 & 5

> Nothing. I already have a workaround; that's not the point.
> We're trying to identify a bug.

to add to this:

I _always_ had the problem with syscons driver locking up keyboard
completely while X server is starting and I press alt-ctrl-Fn to switch
to text screen.  I had this problem on _all_ freebsd machines running
X that I ever had, back to 2.1 days, up to 2.2-stable with XFree 3.3.

one more test case is this:

run xdm with local X server, or run X server from init (in /etc/ttys);
{
    switch to X server screen (e.g., alt-ctrl-F4);
    kill X server by ctrl-alt-backspace
    while server is restarting, try to return to text screen by alt-ctrl-F1
	(here, timing is somehow important; you should press these keys
	_while_ the new server is starting)
} or {
    switch to text screen (alt-ctrl-f1);
    kill X server process;
    the server is restarting, switching console for you (that's a bug
    in X server, IMHO) - just after it switched screens, press alt-ctrl-f1
}
screen switching locked - all ctrl-alt-Fn keys beep. still can work in X.

maybe that's a different bug.
anyway, this behaviour is quite annoying, and have yet to see any freebsd
system which does not have this problem.

I never run xinit / startx because it requires setuid X servers and is
obsolete program anyway, so I don't know whether this problem occurs with it.

--
quote of the day: `