Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 01:30:44 -0400
From:      "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C time functions - problem

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Thomas M. Sommers <tms2@mail.ptd.net> [000808 17:46] wrote:
> > Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't cast 0 to a pointer type, use NULL.
> >
> > Or just use 0.
>
> Not if you want me to accept the code.

According to the (draft) standard,  section 6.3.2.3:

"An integer constant expression with the value 0, or such an expression
cast to type void *, is called a null pointer constant. If a null
pointer constant is converted to a pointer type, the resulting pointer,
called a null pointer, is guaranteed to compare unequal to a pointer to
any object or function."

There are very few circumstances in which you need to cast 0 to make it
a null pointer constant.