Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:07:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@www.kuzbass.ru>, Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.rit.edu>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Memory Requirements Legacy and Present

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Michael Sierchio wrote:

> Eugene Grosbein wrote:
>
> > 4.2 was the last release that can be installed from FTP using NIC
> > with 8Mb RAM/no swap. It's still possible to install 4.4-RELEASE
> > from FTP using NIC with 8Mb RAM but the first step in sysinstall must
> > be allocation of some swap space and activating it with key 'W'
> > in Label Editor screen. Otherwise, sysinstall will run out of memory while
> > configuring ethernet interface.
> >

> Sheesh.  64MB of PC133 RAM is USD 22.00.  1GB of PC133w/ECC is $325.  Cheaper
> than these is the brick you can use to bash your head for being too cheap
> to buy memory. ;-)

:-)

i know exactly what you mean, having been a poor married college student
with grandios ambitions wrt to home networking. i would spend *hours*,
*days* cobbling together 386's with 6MB of ram so that i could have a box
in the bedroom for use during the day when everybody else was awake, and a
box in the living room for when everybody else was asleep.

i dont do that no more now. :-)

> That said,  it would of course be useful to have an accurate "minimum"
> stated -- even if it is not precise,  just guaranteed to work in all
> circumstances.

it's actually still quite important. where i interested in starting a
company to make home networking equipment, i'd be back to counting my
pennies again.

parts count figures heavily in lowering the price of an item like this.
so you want to use an X86 Core that actually has the ram *built in*. the
hellish thing about this sort of part is that if the cheap part has 2M of
ram, and you have needs that require 2.001M of ram. you are boned. yup,
the next part may have 8M and only cost us$1.00 more, but that one dollar
was going to be the money that you got to otherwise *keep*.

but this isnt comp.unix.bsd.manufacturing-cheap-routers so i'll get off
the phone....

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life