Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2016 16:26:16 -0500
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hangs with mrsas?

On 03/07/2016 14:09, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> I have a new Dell server with a typical Dell hardware RAID.  pciconf
> identifies it as "MegaRAID SAS-3 3008 [Fury]"; mfiutil reports:
>
> mfi0 Adapter:
>     Product Name: PERC H330 Adapter
>    Serial Number: 5AT00PI
>         Firmware: 25.3.0.0016
>      RAID Levels:
>   Battery Backup: not present
>            NVRAM: 32K
>   Onboard Memory: 0M
>   Minimum Stripe: 64K
>   Maximum Stripe: 64K
>
> Since I'm running ZFS I have the RAID functions disabled and the
> drives are presented as "system physical drives" ("mfisyspd[0-3]" when
> using mfi(4)).  I wanted to use mrsas(4) instead, so that I could have
> direct access to the drives' SMART functions, and this seemed to work
> after I set the hw.mfi.mrsas_enable tunable, with one major exception:
> all drive access would hang after about 12 hours and the machine would
> require a hard reset to come back up.
>
> Has anyone seen this before?  The driver in head doesn't appear to be
> any newer.
>
> -GAWollman

I did some similar testing in late Jan but perhaps not long enough to
notice your symptoms.  I'm pretty certain I used mrsas_enable since that
is what I would plan to use in production.  I had a H330-mini with the
same firmware rev in a R430.  I was testing with some 2.5" Seagate
ST9600205SS 600gb disks from another system.  What kind of disks were
you using and in what kind of configuration?  Does a simpler config stay
up?  If you are using SSD, I wonder if disks would survive?  SSD
firmware issue?  Was it hard hung at the console too?  Can you enter DDB?

If you don't mind, which Dell model is this?

Sorry I don't have any directly helpful suggestions but you have good
timing because this could very well influence hardware choices.  Thanks.