Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:47:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kris@FreeBSD.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral), wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters), mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org (Michael Lucas), advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New article

> > > The legacy stuff, yes. I said so. :-) The kernel options... As I said
> > > *some* as unavoidable. INVARIANTS?
> >
> > Get rid of all invariants.
>
> options INVARIANTS turns on enforcement of invariants in the kernel as a
> debugging aid. I'm not sure how it could be done dynamically at load time
> without building two versions of all the modules. Perhaps it should be
> made mandatory, but the slight performance penalty associated with it
> might be a turnoff.

That's done at compile time, as a command line option.  A debug
kernel is an exceptional condition.

I thought you were referring to "invariants", as in "not permitted
to vary after compilation".

> SMP/non-SMP is another case which has its conditional fingers in the
> code. When you multiply all of the options together, having 2^n different
> option combinations for each base module suddenly doesn't look so
> attractive..

Right.  So get rid of the things, and enable SMP support on all
kernels.  Yeah, this particular case might be overkill, but it's
probably not: UnixWare actually got 30% faster on UP after the SMP
support went in, since allowing the kernel to be reentrant made
SMP-style locking mandatory on UP kernels, but the increase in
concurrency more than made up for the overhead.

This was in 1993/1994, BTW.

There's no rational reason for hard coding things like the number
of PCI busses, or anything else that can reduce functionality by
virtue of being hard-coded (or even cause a panic, as in the mbuf
case, even when there are resources available which could have been
used to satify the request, instead of panic'ing).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.