Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 09:31:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        lynch@rush.net (P Lynch)
Cc:        wes@softweyr.com, kline@tera.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning user's OS (was: Here is a really odd question!!!)

According to P Lynch:
> I had actually found a good logo interpreter, but I can't remember where
> it is now......
>
> it was like one of those things...."Wow, I remember LOGO, I wanna play
> with this some more"
>
> when I was in grammar school, they taught the computer classes with logo,
> it got to the point some of us were actually doing simplistic animations
> with it. it might take me a few days to find, but I'll post it when I find
> it

> Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
> Systems Administrator					Rush Networking
>
> On Sat, 4 Jul 1998, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > My hidden microphone recorded Gary Kline (kline@tera.com) saying:
> >
> > % 	I'm watching this discussion with considerable interest
> > % 	since my 32-month-old daughter is very interested in my
> > % 	computer.  So far she's learned virtually all the ASCII
> > % 	character set, and in another few years I think that
> > % 	she will be ready for much more.
> > %
> > % 	What's the consensus on BASIC? Or FORTRAN?  xcoral has
> > % 	a C interpreter that could be broken out... .
> > %
> > % 	Bright children really do absorb things quickly; just
> > % 	how quickly has amazed me no end!
> >
> > My daughter is 27 months old next week, and is already a skilled computer
> > user.  She has 3 programs on CD-ROM of her own, and gets another one every 2
> > or 3 months.  She can load the CD herself, and has become quite proficient at
> > using the keyboard-driven programs.
> >
> > We bought her first, called "Baby Rom," last fall when she was 18 months old.
> > She learned the entire alphabet in 9 weeks, and the numbers 1-9 in another 2
> > weeks.
> >
> > Since then, we've added the Fisher-Price Barnyard CD.  She can now tell you
> > what kinds of food all of the common barnyard animals eat, how plants grow
> > from seeds, and the names of the common barnyard animals and their babies.
> >
> > She's still not quite "getting" the use of the mouse, though she's willing to
> > try.  She enjoys typing and identifying the letters she makes, and can type
> > any letter you ask her to.
> >
> > I think I'll wait till after her third birthday, then find a good Logo
> > implementation.  If there isn't one already, it shouldn't be too difficult to
> > create one, it's a pretty simple language.  Anyone around here have a
> > yacc-able grammer for Logo?
> >
> > --
> >        "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
> >
> > Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
> > http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes@softweyr.com

	About the only reason we bought a DOS box was that it was
	the only means of running the educational CD's.

	--I haven't seen the  Fisher-Price CD's yet, thanks for the
	tip, Wes.  There are scores of these for young and older
	children, but which are good (or better) and which not is
	one those cosmic mysteries.  ...Or then again, I just may
	not have found the right magazine(s).

	Whenever you find LOGO for FBSD, I'd like to check it out,
	Pat.  I heard of it years ago, but that's it.  It'd be nice
	to have some tools to cobble together an environment that
	Allyson could play with on this platform.  Not be totally
	infected by dos.

	thanks, people,

	gary