Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:18:55 -0500
From:      dmaddox@scsn.net (Donald J. Maddox)
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The BSD License

On Fri, Jan 30, 1998 at 02:03:06AM +0000, Brian Somers wrote:
> [.....]
> > Ok, at this point, I think I have asked the wrong question.  It seems
> > to me that the important question wrt STAC is 'What are licensing terms
> > acceptable to the FreeBSD core team for software included in the base
> > distribution?', not 'What is the meaning and intent of the BSD license?'.
> >
> > Core team members are cordially invited to address this issue, if you
> > will...
>
> I'm not sure that this is the correct question either.
>
> The rfc seems to indicate to me that they are not willing to give
> their software away without at least an NDA.  That in itself is not a
> problem if they're willing to tell us (or me) how to implement the
> algorithm (and don't place any restrictions on that knowledge).  If
> they were willing to do this, I would have thought it would already
> be explained in the rfc.  Unfortunately it isn't.
>
> We need to ask them if they will give us enough knowledge to
> implement STAC compression *without* an NDA, without any licensing
> requirements and so that the resulting code can be distributed with
> FreeBSD for the world to see and use without restriction on that
> usage.  This `knowledge' may be in source code form already or it
> may be a spec....
>
> Feel free to give 'em my name, although I'm no expert on copyrights.

    Brian, I believe that you would definitely be the most qualified
person to talk with Ms. Poland on this matter...  You're clearly the
master of the code that will be most affected by this, and you
obviously have a better grasp on what is acceptable, or not, than I
am likely to gain tonight :-)

    I can send you contact information for Ms. Poland in private email,
if you would be willing to contact her, or alternatively, I could ask
her to contact you, if you give me a number...