Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:52:27 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Please clean out your */etc/rc.d directories

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 10:45:06AM -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote this message on Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 01:50 -0800:
> > I should have said this in my last heads up message, sorry for forgetti=
ng=20
> > about this important detail. The new code tries to run any script in a=
=20
> > local_startup directory (by default /usr/local/etc/rc.d and=20
> > /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d) that has the execute bit set. So, if there is a sc=
ript=20
> > in one of those directories that you don't want run at all, the safest=
=20
> > thing to do is to create a directory within rc.d, and move the script=
=20
> > there. Parsing of these scripts is not a recursive operation. The secon=
d=20
> > safest thing to do is to remove the execute bit from those scripts.
>=20
> Does this mean that we will remove the .sh extension on port rc.d startup
> scripts?  Because a) it's been only running .sh scripts for quite a
> while, and b) it's really nice and easy to disable scripts by moving
> them to .old or another extension..

Yes.  You should be able to disable any correctly written rc.d script by
setting the variable listed by running "<script> rcvar" to NO in
/etc/rc.conf (and this should be the default).  In 8.0 any scripts
ending in .sh will be run in the context of /etc/rc so they should be
extremely rare and must be very carefully crafted to avoid namespace
pollution.

> Also, how will this effect cups which installs a .sample file?  and
> any other port that does this?

=2Esample files should go away.  If for some reason a script must
be modified to be useful, the sample version should go under
${PREFIX}/share.

-- Brooks

--=20

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q