Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 16:45:58 +0200 (METDST)
From:      Carles Amengual <amengual@cesca.es>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Headless/keyboardless booting...

On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> Joe McGuckin stands accused of saying:
> > Can freebsd boot without a keyboard or video card? Can a
>
> In principle yes; I've noticed that some systems have problems booting
> without a keyboard though.

AT-like PCs use a keyboard interrupt (I think is A20, though not sure) to
address RAM above ~1 MB, so FreeBSD (nor any other OS) should not be able
to work without a keyboard. Maybe this is no longer true for some PCs, but
I have not seen it. However, many newer PCs handle much better all this.

Carlos Amengual, amengual@prades.cesca.es
Sociedad Astronomica de Espana y America (SADEYA)
Av. Diagonal, 377, 2 ; 08008 Barcelona, Spain
Disclaimer: Any error in this message should be considered as my boss's
opinion, and not mine.