Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:20:50 +0200
From:      "DA Forsyth" <d.forsyth@ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newsyslog and apache

I used to have one big apache log file, but decided to rotate it once
a month using newsyslog.

However, now apache stops and does not restart when the log is
rotated.

line from newsyslog.conf
/var/log/apache/httpd-access.log        640 13     *    $M1D8 B
  /var/run/httpd.pid 30

with a similar one for the error log.

I have to manually start apache after this rotates the log.

I alos see that 'apachectl restart' stops apache but it doesn't
restart.

any ideas?

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research