Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:52:46 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi disk (cam?) problems

On Sat, Oct 31, 1998 at 07:08:50PM -0700, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> John W. DeBoskey wrote...
> > Hi,
> >
> >    My -CURRENT system has been experiencing problems since I converted
> > it to cam awhile back. The following show up on my console, and then
> > my disks are useless until I completely shutdown, powerdown my drive
> > array, power it back on, and reboot. I have 4 identical drives configured
> > as a ccd. They have been serving me well more about a year...
> >
> >    If anyone has any ideas on how I can track down the problem, please
> > let me know!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> > /dev/ccd0a             2155550  1268428   714678    64%    /snap
> > /dev/ccd0b             2155550  1020154   962952    51%    /usr/obj
> > /dev/ccd0d            17244630 12876242  2988818    81%    /pub
> >
> > Snipped from messages: (This kernel was built on the 28th), I'm now on
> >                        a kernel built Oct 31.
> [ ... ]
>
> > Oct 30 10:52:35 FreeBSD /kernel: (da2:ahc0:0:3:0): Invalidating pack
> > Oct 30 10:52:35 FreeBSD /kernel: (da2:ahc0:0:3:0): Invalidating pack
>
> Well, what's happening here is that one of your disks is returning an
> error, and keeps returning that error.  Reads and writes in the da driver
> have a retry count of 4.  So by the time we print out the message above,
> the command has already been retried four times.  We may also have taken a
> number of error recovery actions to try to bring the device back.

Very interesting.
I've saw the same message yesterday:
Oct 31 20:10:18 cicely5 /kernel: (da23:ahc4:0:1:0): Invalidating pack

I was writing to a mounted fs on da23 <SHARP JY800 MODC 2.45>
during that I received this message.
Can't unmount:
root@cicely5# umount /mnt
umount: /mnt: Device not configured
But I can send commands via camcontrol to the drive.
Rescan won't help.
Havn't rebooted yet.
Is there any way to get this drive working again without rebooting?

> How often does this happen?  Could you try booting with -v, and see if you
> can reproduce the problem?  I think that that (booting with -v) should
> cause the error to be printed out.  If I know the error, I may be able to
> help you work around it, or at least tell you that one of your disks is on
> the blink.
For me it's the first and only one till now.

--
Mfg B.Walter