Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:40:20 -0500
From:      brianc@netrover.com (Brian Campbell)
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: No password account on 2.2.1-RELEASE

Bill Fenner writes:
> hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi) wrote:
> >If 2.2.1-RELEASE does not permit no-password account
>
> But it does.  The box that I installed last week still doesn't have a root
> password.  Just hit "enter" at the password prompt.

Perhaps hosokawa and myself are the only two experiencing the problem,
but two points.  Firstly, I don't think 2.2.1-RELEASE was out last week,
and secondly by "no-password account" I meant accounts for which you
won't even be prompted for a password.

The third point, <g>, is that after installing bin.*, the root account
doesn't require a password (i.e. the passwd field is empty, as opposed
to an encrypted version of a newline), and whatever is broken with my
2.2.1R won't let anyone with such a passwd entry login.  I had to boot -s.