Date:      4 Dec 1995 21:48:13 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mission Impossible-style crashes on 2.1.0

bugs@freebsd.netcom.com (Mark Hittinger) writes:
[..]
>In any event I see something similar on a heavy news box at my former
>employer.  One box with heavy UUCP and mail activity stays up forever.
>Another box running INN and CERN will die inexplicably during news expire
>runs especially :-)

Likewise, the main news machine here tends to go overnight while
unattended and in the middle of a news expire..  When it does that, it
silently reboots.. no crash dump, no dmesg trace..

>I do not use MMAP.  Do you use alias IP's for "virtual web sites" on your
>ethernet?  My news drive is a 4gig seagate.  I wonder if we could isolate
>a common thread between our two configurations.

I dont use MMAP either.  I "felt" that the reliability was better with
it turned off, but I have no concrete data.  This is on a 27-sept
2.2-current.

-Peter