Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:51:38 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        jimbean109@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: can I use natd or is this even possible?

Jim,
Marty's description of why you can't do this is very accurate.  He leaves
out one feature of natd, and that is it's ability to redirect certain ports
to/from the internal machine.  E.g.  external:2121 can be redirected to
internal:21.

Now, here comes your problem, you have only one IP.  And you want port 21 to
do something different depending on what host name is.  In your example,
www.domain.com, ftp.domain.com, ftp2.domain.com, etc... would all point to
the same IP address.  I don't believe there is any way to differentiate
which hostname was used to connect to your IP address.  So, what you want to
do can't be done, but not for the reasons that Marty gave.

The way I see it you have 2 choices.
1. Redirect another port to the ftp server on the internal machine.  As
someone else posted and as I believe you already know, have (for example)
ftp.domain.com:2121 point to 10.1.1.2:21.

(I would actually redirect both 2121 and 2120 to ports 21 and 20 on the
internal machine.  Ftp uses 2 ports, a control port and a data port.  In my
experience it will use the port just belive the control, for the data.)

2. Obtain an second public IP address.  You can then have natd redirect all
traffic for that ip address to the internal machine.  (of course you don't
really need natd in this case anyway).

Hope this clarifies.
-Chris