Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 01:03:56 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUID-Directories patch

S?ren Schmidt wrote:

> > > One of the main incentives for commercial entities to give code
> > > back is offloading of maintenance.  You can of course pick and
> > > choose what you want to take, but the fix seems generically
> > > useful
> >
> > And is in 3.0-current, but doesn't belong in 2.2.  On the flip side,
> > just because a commercial entity donates code doesn't mean we should
> > take it into the source tree lock/stock/and barrel.
>
> Exactly. I wont accecpt that YOU guys offloads YOUR maintenance on
> our backs, we have had PLENTY of that allready, thankyou...

actually it's not a maintainance for you.. actually the opposite.

To me it means I can easier maintain the whole thing..
Without it I maintain only ours, and then have to worry about if I
back-ported fixes to freeBSD.
We've already pulled several bugs out of this code for FreeBSD
and more will come.
I accept that you won't take this simple change into 2.2,
but that's fine. I offered, and you decided no. My reasn for doing
it is that I don;t want to diverge from FBSD enough to
divert my attentions away from it.

The utility to us is undeniable, so we'll bear the cost.

> Now kill this thread, and get back to work...
yes SIR!