Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:54:56 -0500
From:      nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
Subject:   Re: creating bootable cd for alpha

At 05:39 PM 2/13/00 +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>Hi
>
>I want to test booting off a cdrom on the various Alpha models I have
>available at home and at work.
>
>What I'm looking is the right magical commands to make such a cd. I assume
>Alpha uses a bootable ufs cd instead of RockRidge.
>
>Is this described somewhere?

Wilko,

I recently made an srm-bootable NetBSD cdrom.  Here is what I did.

1.  first download all the needed files from a mirror.

2.  copy /usr/mdec/boot from a netbsd/alpha system to the root
    of the cd image

3.  copy netbsd.gz from the instkernel directory under the
    alpha/installation distribution from the cd to the root
    directory and then uncompress it, leaving

4.  build the iso image using the following command
/usr/local/bin/mkhybrid -A "NetBSD-1.4.1" \
        -b NetBSD-1.4.1/i386/installation/floppy/boot.fs \
        -c NetBSD-1.4.1/i386/installation/floppy/boot.catalog \
        -J -o netbsd-1.4.1.iso -P "NetBSD-1.4.1" -p "NetBSD-1.4.1" \
        -r -V "NetBSD-1.4.1" NetBSD

5.  install a primary boot loader (which loads /boot) to the root
    of the cd via installboot (man installboot).
/usr/mdec/installboot image.iso /usr/mdec/bootxx_cd9660

The key steps to pay attention to are copying the secondary boot
loader (boot) to the root of the iso9660 image and installing the
primary boot loader (using installboot) to the iso9660 image.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please email me.

Nick Maniscalco
nmanisca@vt.edu