Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:36:46 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
Cc:        Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
Subject:   Re: apcupsd vs FreeBSD-5.2.x

--EVcIhgQsEzAXu06J

Hi Peter,
  =20
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Tue, 27 Jul, 2004 21:00 BST

> Stacey Roberts wrote:
> >Hi Peter,
> >   Thanks for the reply.

> >>have to

> >>You need to make an appropriate entry in devfs.conf for any=20
> >>customisation of /dev to persist beyond a reboot with FreeBSD 5. -=20
> >>something like:
> >>
> >>link target name
> >

> >Ah.., yes.., Do you mind checking my syntax, please? According to your=
=20
> >suggestion, I'd be adding:
> >
> >link /dev/cuaa1 /dev/usv
> >
> >to /etc/devfs.conf, and that should be it?
>=20
> No - look at the file, there are sample entries there:
>=20
> # Commonly used by many ports
> link    acd0    cdrom
> link    cuaa0   pilot
>=20
> So you'd want:
>=20
> link cuaa1  usv

Okay, I understand. And I take it that if the serial signalling cable is ac=
tually connected to (labeled) serial port 1, then the corresponding device =
tobe used here would be cuaa0?

>=20
>=20
>=20
> >
> >Whislt I'm keen to try this out, could I then ask the obvious question,=
=20
> >is there some reason why in apcupsd.conf I am not allowed to simply=20
> use /dev/cuaa1?
> >
>=20
> I'm afraid I'm not sufficiently familiar with this software to answer.=20
> But it would almost certainly be less problematic  to stick with the=20
> suggested link.

I understand., seems to be there for what I imagine to be for some good rea=
son.

This has been really helpful, Peter. Thanks again.

Regards,

Stacey