Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 18:07:15 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Alan Batie <batie@aahz.jf.intel.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard interrupts

> On Fri, Dec 05, 1997 at 05:17:55PM -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
> > What does /etc/pccard.conf look like?  Is is possible that the
> > sound-card probed wiped out your hardware somehow?  Did you try turning
> > it off and leaving it off for a bit, then turning it back on?
>
> io 0x240-0x360
> irq 3 5 10 14

Remove IRQ 5 from this list.

> memory 0xd4000 96k
>
> card "LINKSYS" "E-CARD"
> 	config 0x20 "ed0" 5

Change the 5 to a '?' (w/out the quotes)

> 	insert echo LinkSys PCMCIA Ethernet inserted
> 	insert /etc/pccard_ether ed0
> 	remove echo LinkSys PCMCIA Ethernet removed
> 	remove /sbin/ifconfig ed0 delete
>
> It turns out it's getting the "driver allocation failed" error;
> I added some code to cardd.c so that it prints out the ioctl error:

That's because I'll bet IRQ 5 is 'used', either by the hardware and/or
by FreeBSD.

> Anyhow, it's reporting "Device Busy"; nevertheless, I can ifconfig it,
> which initializes the card enough that it goes from a dark Rx light to
> a blinking Rx light... followed by the ed0 timeout messages, indicating
> everything is working but the interrupts.

Right.

> I suspect the problem is in
> the sound somewhere, as it is also at IRQ 5, the LinkSys (according to
> pccardc anyhow) only will use IRQ 5

Naw, that' a farce.  It'll go anywhere you want it to be, as long as you
have a free interrupt.  The CIS IRQ values are bogus and you can ignore them.

, and there's no way to fiddle with
> the sound hardware in the BIOS.  I would say "well, time to get a new
> ethercard" except that it worked once...  and I do have access to a 3c589,
> which I have set for irq 10, and it acts similarly --- prints out the
> ethernet address, the [*UTP*] that I assume indicates its properly in
> UTP mode, but pings get "sendto: Host is down" (the host I'm pinging is
> the one I'm currently typing this message on ).  Don't even get the device
> is busy or allocation failed errors.

Only when the system is *really* confused do I get the busy errors.  I'm
guessing that the above mentioned changes will make things work again.

Nate