Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:46:41 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Robert Small <rsmall@pwahec.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail question

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 10:54:10AM -0500, Robert Small wrote:

> I built a new mailserver this weekend, and everytime I boot it up, to
> get sendmail working I have to kill the sendmail daemond (killall -HUP
> sendmail), then type in "sendmail -bd -q30m", even though it's in my
> rc.conf:
>
> sendmail_enable="YES" # Run the sendmail daemon (or NO). flags="-bd
> sendmail_-q30m" # Flags to sendmail (if enabled)
>
> Any ideas why this happens?

In my 3.4-S home box, the /etc/rc script that starts sendmail also
checks if the file /etc/sendmail.cf is there.  After upgrading sendmail
8.10.2 manually, I was bitten by this fact, since I had my sendmail.cf
in /etc/mail and not in /etc.  Perhaps you ought to change your /etc/rc
to check for /etc/mail/sendmail.cf too.

If this is the problem with your sendmail, then look for the lines:

    if [ "X${sendmail_enable}" = X"YES" -a -r /etc/sendmail.cf ]; then
            echo -n ' sendmail';    /usr/sbin/sendmail ${sendmail_flags}

and change the first one to:

    if [ "X${sendmail_enable}" = X"YES" -a -r /etc/mail/sendmail.cf ]; then

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public key: finger keramida@ceid.upatras.gr