Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 18:16:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: brainstorm: "intermediate" disk caching

> Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:54:24 +0100
> From: Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>

[ snip ]

> disc caching. The idea of perhaps caching writes onto a RAID-0 system

I meant caching onto an arbitrary volume, probably using a simple
journalling "filesystem".  Personally, a RAID 1 volume would be my choice,
but the type of target volume would have no bearing on the implementation.

RAID 1 writes are slower than RAM (duh!) but faster than RAID 5... and
they don't have the reliability issues associated with writeback RAM
cache (duh!).

> and then transferring them is possible. But it sounds to that such a
> system would be hard to setup.

Such is what I thought... but I still had to ask. :-)

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: (316) 794-8922