Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:32:03 -0800
From:      "Ulairi" <ulairi@jps.net>
To:        "Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Printing to an NT Server

On the NT box, install the Simple TCP/IP services and the TCP/IP printing
(if I recalled what they were officially termed, it'd be great)
If you have SP3 installed and/or any hot fixes, you will have to re-install
them (thank MicroSquish for that one)
Once that is done, share the printer.

On the FreeBSD system, treat it as a remote BSD system (it is compliant). IP
printing to the NT box, printername=WhateverYouNamedTheShareOnNT

When printing to the printer a file that is a PS or a PCL file, make sure
you tell the lp program that.
On HP-UX, I have to do lp -oBSDo filename.ps to tell it to spool it as a
PostScript file to the NT server. If you don't, you'll see the raw PS code
coming out of the printer (which is great if you want to see what PostScript
looks like, but not so great if you want to see the actual picture it
describes :) )

Pavel May
General Purpose Computer Geek
California State University, Northridge
College of Engineering and Computer Science
18111 Nordhoff St, Post Stop 8295
Northridge, CA 91330
ulairi@jps.net <mailto:ulairi@jps.net>
pavel@ecs.csun.edu <mailto:pavel@ecs.csun.edu>