Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:09:13 -0800
From:      "Brian J. Swetland" <swetland@frotz.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devfs?

["Brian J. Swetland" <swetland@frotz.net>]

> I'm interested in mucking about with the devfs stuff a bit -- is there
> currently any active developer/maintainer/docs?  I grabbed the 4.0
> snapshot from the 17th, installed it, grabbed the kernel sources from
> CVS, got stuff building and figured out how to enable DDB (not that
> much different from the kdebug environment I'm used to from BeOS). I
> figured I'd see if there was any more information than the sources.

I see (after digging through some recent list archives) that I missed
some discussion of this from as recent as a week ago.  Also I notice
that devfs does build, is mountable, is mountable, and shows a goodly
number of the active devices in my system.

Somebody mentioned the issue of figuring out when things change
in sysctl/devfs/etc (and please excuse me if we've been here before),
but there seem to be two non-polling solutions that are workable
(though the second is much more work).  Either provide /dev/devchanges
or whatnot that interested processes can read (and block on) to receive
change events (similar to the Linux cardmgr socket stuff) or provide
general node monitoring (where processes can register for notifications
for move/modify/remove/directorychanged with some entity that plugs
into the vfs layer).  The latter has some really neat effects (which
BeOS makes heavy use of) generally involving not needing to poll for
fs changes (input server node monitors /dev/input/... and sees new
mice, etc as they're plugged in, GUI file browser gets events when
third parties modify stuff in open windows, etc).

Also, if anyone did reply to me over the last day or two, I've been
having entertaining mail problems (now resolved) which probably
resulted in me missing the reply.

Brian

--
Brian Swetland - swetland@frotz.net | "If I have hacked deeper than them, it