Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:04:52 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo), hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install to second hard-drive...

> As Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I don't know whether booteasy can handle more than one drive.  I
> remember somebody saying that os-bs is better in this respect.

osbs20b8 works with more than one drive, and is pretty (it gives you
a nice menu), but not with some BIOSs - specifically any laptops I've
tried (but then, you won't have two disks, so os-bs, the previous version,
will suffice).

The problem with osbs20b8 however may be a geometry thing.  I found it
impossible to convince DOS of the correct geometry - it insisted on 60
heads, and the BIOS only allows up to 15.  As osbs20b8 installs through
DOS, and writes to more than the first sector, this causes problems....

Does anyone know where DOS gets it's geometry from ?  I've tried writing
the correct values into that control block thingy, but it didn't help.

I eventually stuck with the BIOS's idea - it means that suspend/resume
work, and was the same as the recommended geometry in the drive spec.
--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk/>;