Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:06:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tim DeBoer <tdeboer@rufus.cornhusker.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FTP Weirdness

Hi everyone,
I'm having trouble transfering files via FTP on and off my FBSD box. The
files sizes show up as 0, thought it still takes the normal amount of time
to transfer the files.

I have a script that runs on all my linux/fbsd machines at night, and
creates a tar.gz backup of critical files, such as /etc/passwd and then
ftp's the tar file to another fbsd machine for storage.
The tar files from the linux machines are all transfered via a GET
script, run by cron from the FBSD storage machine. All the files transfer
properly.

My other FBSD machine transfers via a PUT script (actually the same as the
GET script, except I've changed it to mput instead of mget). Files
transfered by this machine show up as 0bytes, though is still takes the 30
seconds to transfer the 5MB file. When I run the script by hand, sh
putbackups.sh, I can watch the transfer take place, and the counters show
the proper amount of data transfer taking place. When I check the storage
machine, the file sizes are 0bytes.

I can't FTP anything off the storage machine, the ftp session either times
out waiting for a reponse, or the ftp client will bomb and complain about
a lost port.

I don't see any error messages in /var/log/messages, I don't have a
/var/log/xferlog, at all.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #1
About the only thing I can think of, is I horked the last stable build,
EXCEPT is did work properly after the last build. It just started acting
flaky about a week ago. I honestly cvannot think of anything I might have
changed that would cause this. I haven't been messing with ipfw or
rc.firewall, or anything.

Help!?

--
Tim DeBoer

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.