Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 00:47:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Lowe <dlowe@best.com>
To:        security@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   dump, rdump

  /sbin/dump and /sbin/rdump probably shouldn't be world-executable, as
they are in the default config of 2.1.0-STABLE.  As far as I know, this
isn't a root-gaining problem, but any user can use:

  /sbin/dump 0f $HOME/whatever /usr (or /var)

and parse the files created for interesting info.  My biggest concern
would be that any user could read any other's incoming or outgoing mail
using this technique and a short awk program.

  So much for the bug description.  Now my related questions.  From main.c
in /usr/src/sbin/dump:

  (void)setuid(getuid()); /* rmthost() is the only reason to be setuid */

  So it would appear that the program has reverted to the real user-id.
Why then is it able to read all files on /usr or /var?  And yet can't open
/ to dump it (which would be a more severe problem, allowing access to the
passwords)?  I'm stumped.
  Thanks.

: : J. David Lowe ::: dlowe@best.com ::: ai334@freenet.carleton.ca : :
:: http://www.best.com/~dlowe/ ::::: ftp://ftp.best.com/web1/dlowe/ ::
 : : : : : : : : : finger for pgp key and geek code : : : : : : : : :