Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:04:44 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        <jimmcloughlin@earthlink.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Slightly OT] how to create bootable FIPS disks in win2k (adding freebsd partition)

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 02:05, Jim McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi y'all
>
> I couldn't find information on how to do this elsewhere on the web.
It is
> technically a DOS question...
>
> I'm repartitioning my laptop to install freebsd, planning to use
FIPS.  The
> instructions say to create a bootable fips disk in dos via:
>
> sys a:
>
> or
>
> format a: /S
>
> However, for winnt and win2k, neither of these commands work.  Does
anyone
> know the equivalent for win2k/nt?
>
> thanks
>
> JM

The only way to make bootable floppies in 2k that I know of is to make
a startup disk set.  That isn't really what you want, since there is
no room for fips on them anyways.  Personally, what I would do, is
put fips on a floppy, then boot off a win9x cd and just select the
boot to command line option.  Then pop in your floppy and run fips.
A word of warning, I have no clue whether fips works in fat 32, and
heaven help you if you have NTFS.

Personally, If I was in the position of needing to divide up an
nt/2k/xp disk, I would get ahold of a copy of Partition Magic.

Josh