Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:04:18 -0500
From:      "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine" <brunner@nic-naa.net>, "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Subject:   RE: FAQ? Starter guide?

>I've started thinking about starting an ISP in this small mountain village....
>
>being a FreeBSD user, I'd rather set it up with FreeBSD.  I've been
>looking for FAQ's,
>Howto's, or other hints for the bewildered.... so far, no joy.  I've
>been a network geek for
>a long time, but on LANs and WANs with the site to site infrastructure
>already in place...
>and no marketing to worry about.
>
>I was wondering if anyone could recommend resources to get me pointed
>in the right
>direction.

As far as FreeBSD is concerned, Matt Simerson has a good mail toaster (google
will turn it up) which is based on FreeBSD, other resources just take some
googling to dig them up.  I am not sure that you will find a complete resource
simply because FreeBSD would only encompas the OS portion of your solution.
makes this thread a little OT.

While we are plastering this list with a post though, here are some other
resources;

ISP Survival Guide - Wiley - ISBN 0-471-31499-4 - getting dated, but real good
information in there to give you a solid foundation and help you avoid simple
mistakes.

ISP Planet - www.isp-planet.com - wide range of resources, lists, documents,
reports, etc...  will occupy alot of your time.  Good up to date information,
along with hostorical information.

One of the big questions is are you going facilities(hardware) based or virtual
(buying from someone).  If hardware based, ask around (lists, messageboards,
etc...) for used equipment before buying new (picked up a 35k Cisco dial chasis
at about 10% list price only a few months ago).  If going virtual, ask around
for others experiences.

Finally, kiss your lifestyle goodbye for a while.  Starting up can be taxing on
your pocketbook, you may be better off buying one of the other two.

Dave