Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:15:37 -0400
From:      "Brian" <wrath@shianet.org>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

Eh.

Network port scanning is no big deal, it's like checking a doorknob but
never going in.  Only if you go in should you be prosecuted.

And port scanning is prosecuteable and there is a law for it.

It's amazing how much trouble you can get in for doing a broadcast scan on
port 80 looking for webservers.  And my scan consisted of nothing more than
a handshake, it didn't probe to see what services were installed.

This action got me a year and a half of academic probation (I do something
wrong again I get kicked out without a hearing), banned from their
residential network for the entirety of my stay here, and use of
computational facilities for the sole purpose of academics.  I'm not allowed
to use the internet except in my home department.  I quickly got off campus
after not having internet access for three months, buying myself a house and
getting internet access from a more reliable source.  Now I no longer do
_anything_ from my machine, that's what shellers are for.  In the meantime,
the school never understood the simple fact that if I were looking to do
damage, I wouldn't do it from my machine.

Before, they had serious problems with their routers keeling over.  They
haven't had their "notwork" stay up for more than a day yet.  Not to mention
their implementation of managed switches to try to keep packetsniffing to a
bare minimum is still not working in its entirety after seven months.  They
still have this problem, but now they've got DNS servers taking a dump
frequently (antiquated version of bind getting hammered).  They've got a two
year old certificate for ssh on one of their premier machines.  I suppose
that's what happens when you get old farts working for a school, they're
only there for their paycheck.  Now they sit around and use their
uber-expensive software and hardware to see what the kids are splattering
across 'their' network.  And due to this, they have kids now using VPNs to
play games and such.  Most of all the ftps and webservers are scftp and
https now just to keep the school from seeing.  Everyone uses PGP and
passwords.  The more knowledgeable people use their own smtp servers just so
the school can't have the chance to look at their outgoing mail.

This is a prime example of what happens when people overpolice.

Thanks for your time
-Brian